An Impulsive Choice Was the Right Choice: I Found the Perfect College

I wouldn’t exactly say I chose Longwood.

I’m a first-generation college student, so college seemed like a stretch. I wasn’t sure of even the simplest of things—like how to apply.

Because of that, I initially committed to the University of Lynchburg because they were the first college to contact me—even though I’d never heard of that school before. I attended a scholarship award ceremony (they gave me a $27,000 scholarship), and I loved the campus.

Abbie (left) and her roommate, Karina, at the main entrance to campus.

A few months went by, and people I knew were being accepted to their dream schools—but it didn’t feel the same for me. I procrastinated about applying to other schools and filling out my mandatory Lynchburg paperwork because I simply didn’t know what I truly wanted from college.

I had heard about Longwood and decided to apply. I was accepted, so now I had two options. Still nothing felt right for me. Then came the FAFSA deadline, which meant I had to make a last-minute decision. Impulsively, I cancelled my commitment to Lynchburg and committed to Longwood before I even stepped foot on campus.

I had no reason behind my choice to switch to Longwood. My process of choosing my college was very confusing, and the worries of, “What if I chose the wrong college?” never stopped until move-in day.

I am now at Longwood, and I have no doubt that I chose the perfect place for me. I’m thankful that my impulsive, unknowledgeable choices led me to where I truly feel I belong.

Comments

Abbie is a young woman who thinks ahead.

She’s already thinking about going to graduate school in criminal psychology or counseling after she finishes her undergraduate psychology degree. She’s already planning her wedding for next summer. And she’s already decided to continue “forever” her family tradition of attending The Nutcracker at Christmas.

A graduate of Gloucester High School, her favorite classes were English and AP Psychology. She was always working during high school, so the only extracurricular activity she had time for was chorus. What she misses most from home is her pit bull, a sweetheart named Nugget who got his name “simply because he looks like a chicken nugget.”