It’s All About Planning

The semester so far has been going better than I thought it would be around this time. I’ve gotten a bit more used to the campus and its ins and outs, along with developing better time-management skills/planning that make doing work a lot easier.

The biggest thing I have learned so far from my experiences here—and from my older friends—is to have assignments and activities written out in a planner or even on your phone. Making sure that you have time to do your work as well as down time is key.

This system really came in handy when I was buckling down to get ready for crunch time at finals.

Socially things have been about the same—including still meeting new people each week, which is always enjoyable.

I am ready to finish out the rest of this semester and have Christmas break, but I have made sure that I remember not to rush it.

Comments

Phil loves sports. How much?

So much that the most memorable part of a high-school trip to Senegal was playing soccer with a group of children there. So much that on any given afternoon you might see him catching a long football pass in front of his residence hall. So much that he’s signed up for the Longwood men’s basketball team’s rigorous practice and game schedule—as a walk-on point guard.

Phil attended Christchurch School, a private, college-prep school in Saluda, Virginia, where he  boarded all four years and his favorite classes were psychology and English. When asked about his favorite book, he named not a novel but instead We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy, which is a collection of essays originally published in The Atlantic magazine over the course of the Barack Obama administration. He also played basketball and lacrosse in high school.

Phil is currently keeping his options open about a major at Longwood because “there are so many options here.” Meanwhile, he’ll be enjoying the pancakes in D-hall: Breakfast is his favorite meal of the day, and pancakes are his go-to breakfast.