Becoming More Independent, CHI and Weekends

The past several weeks at Longwood have been a learning experience for me. It’s been enjoyable even though there have been some growing pains with it!

I’m learning how to do things independently, like making sure I plan out my days to meet my deadlines and keep up with my academic obligations. Now, don’t get me wrong, these things take some time to get used to, especially when you haven’t had to do them before. But the process is fun because I know that I am becoming more of an adult.

This is primarily related to my academics.

When it comes to my social life, I have been having a lot of fun meeting people, having lunch with peers and even watching TV with them in the sunroom on a weekend. All of these experiences are what I expected.

Founded in 1900, CHI is the oldest service organization at Longwood. Its purpose is to promote and maintain a spirit of cooperation among students during every phase of college life. Members of CHI are secret until a grand reveal at each spring’s CHI Burning, a bonfire on campus that marks a new chapter in CHI.

I also went to the CHI walk (http://www.longwood.edu/lancer-life/traditions/chi/) recently along with some other students. The walk was at night and a little creepy, yet kind of fun. I wish I had gotten a CHI dropping while I was there, but I’m still glad I got to be a part of the tradition—and I’m looking forward to other school events in the future.

Weekends provide a time to relax and hang out on campus.

The weekend culture here is nice, with people outside socializing and the special programs, like move nights and the hypnotist who “performed.” Even though it gets hard sometimes academically, it is good to know that there are opportunities for me to wind down for a bit and give myself a mental break.

Comments

Phil loves sports. How much?

So much that the most memorable part of a high-school trip to Senegal was playing soccer with a group of children there. So much that on any given afternoon you might see him catching a long football pass in front of his residence hall. So much that he’s signed up for the Longwood men’s basketball team’s rigorous practice and game schedule—as a walk-on point guard.

Phil attended Christchurch School, a private, college-prep school in Saluda, Virginia, where he  boarded all four years and his favorite classes were psychology and English. When asked about his favorite book, he named not a novel but instead We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy, which is a collection of essays originally published in The Atlantic magazine over the course of the Barack Obama administration. He also played basketball and lacrosse in high school.

Phil is currently keeping his options open about a major at Longwood because “there are so many options here.” Meanwhile, he’ll be enjoying the pancakes in D-hall: Breakfast is his favorite meal of the day, and pancakes are his go-to breakfast.